- Ensure preservation of the scarce water resources to optimize the utilization of the available resources.
- Bring about qualitative improvement in water resource management, which should include user's participation and decentralization of authority.
- Maintain water quality, both surface and underground, to establish norms and standards.
- Promote formulation of projects as far as and wherever possible on the concept of both surface and ground water as a unitary resource, ensuring multipurpose use of the water resource. This would inter alia consist of the following main uses
- Provide adequate water for drinking and domestic use.
- Provide water for irrigation.
- Maximize hydropower generation within the constraints imposed by other users.
- Provide water for industries including Agro industries.
- Provide water for navigation, recreation, health and for others uses.
- Ensure ecological and environmental balance while developing water resources.
- Promote equity and social justice and among individuals and groups of users in water resource allocation and management.
- Ensure self-sustainability in water resource development.
- Ensure Flood Management and drainage as integral part of water resource development.
- Provide substantive legal framework for management.
- Provide a Management information System (M.I.S.) for effective monitoring of policy implementation.
- Promote research and training facilities in the water resource sector.
- Provide mechanism for the resolution of conflicts between various users.